Friday, November 11, 2011

Red wine: Malbec

Last week I went out for dinner a few times and a dinner companion picked out Malbec for our wine.

San Telmo Esencia Malbec 2009

Finca Decero Malbec 2009

Cost: can't remember for the first one, but the second one was $12/glass and $36/bottle at The Green Table in Chelsea marketplace.
Official description: for the second one, "Mendoza, Argentina - Sustainable. Intense aromas, fresh & lively fruit, spices on the finish." I think the first one was also a South American Malbec. From Wikipedia on Malbecs: "In Argentina, Malbec becomes softer with a plusher texture and riper tannins. The wines tend to have juicy fruit notes with violet aromas."
Did I like this: Yes!

I tend not to like most red wines because of the bitter taste from tannins, but there have been a few I've tried with less of that bitterness that I really enjoy and can start to see why a lot of people prefer red wines. They're very...interesting in the depth of the flavors and such. These Malbecs were great because they had the interesting part of red wine flavor but not the bitterness and were very easy to drink. I did notice afterwards that my stomach may not have agreed with it entirely, but I don't know whether that's the red wine or the other food I ate at those dinners. Still, I'd try this type of red wine again.

No comments:

Post a Comment