Sunday, November 13, 2011

White wine: Moscato

I went to a few wine tastings in Napa a few months ago for the first time with some friends from work. I can see why people get really into it, wine country is beautiful with the sunshine and the rolling fields of green.

In case what "going to Napa" really means isn't obvious to people, the basic way of doing it is to drive around to a few different wineries and do a tasting there of the different kinds of wine they produce, usually somewhere around 3-4 wines. There are some that just do free tasting and others that apparently you have to pay for but if you have someone who's a member of the wine club there, they can take some guests with them for free tastings with some snacks as well if you're lucky. Being a member of a wine club is kind of like being part of a CSA, you commit to ordering a certain amount of wine from them on a monthly basis for a certain length of time. So this was both an educational and an enjoyable outing.

The one wine I ended up buying a bottle of to bring back with me was a 2010 Moscato from St. Supery:


Cost: $16, I think I had some kind of a discount to get the club member prices without actually being a club member through work.
Official description: from the bottle, "Our Moscato is harvested entirely from our family owned, sustainably farmed, Napa Green certified estate vineyard. Floral and delicate, this Mostcasto has intenses aromas of ripe peaches and apricots enhanced by cantaloupe and lychees. This light, sweet, and balanced wine is wonderful chilled as an aperitif or can be enjoyed as a desert wine."

From website: "Brilliant hues pale yellow and green hues present this Moscato. Aromas abound with rich apricots, peach blossom and exotic guava. Vibrant ripe sweet flavors of nectarine, peach and citrus complete a full rich profile finishing with bright acidity. This wine is lightly sweet with a crisp acidity that keeps it light on the palate and hence a great companion to a wide variety of foods. Enjoy as an aperitif with salty snacks, with spicy Asian and Latin cuisine and also with fruit-based desserts and cheese courses."

Did I like this: Yes!

I just opened another bottle Moscato yesterday that my sister-in-law brought over last weekend and quite enjoyed it as well, so I think Moscatos are something that I could return to reliably. Basically these wines were just really sweet and fruity and light, so I think probably if you tend to lean towards fun girly fruity sweet cocktails, as I do, you would like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment